Here's a brunch meal that will surely add spark to your day - French toast with Swiss cheese, glazed with Amaretto (sweet Italian liqueur), topped with toasted almonds, and of course, maple syrup! Sounds delish? Inspired by a local brunch spot in Toronto, we have replicated this recipe at home, minus the Amaretto. If you're not a big cook, no worries! You'll find this easy to make. Best of all, it would give you a gourmet-like breakfast experience right in your own home.
Please note: You can vary the amount of eggs you want to use. If you like a really “eggy” taste, you can use 4 eggs to 1 cup of milk. If you like it less “eggy”, you can do with 2 eggs per cup of milk.
What you’ll need:
- A large skillet or frying pan
- Spatula (for flipping the bread)
- 8 slices of bread of your choice (I used a loaf of multigrain bread, and then cut it into 1/4“ thick slices)
- 2 to 4 eggs, as per my note above
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- ½ cup of sliced almonds
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl, and pour into a shallow, flat-bottomed bowl or plate.
- Preheat your oven to “warm” setting or 170 degrees F.
- Melt butter on a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Make sure the butter doesn’t burn.
- Cut your bread loaf into 1/4" thick slices.
- Dip a bread slice into the egg mixture for a few seconds, and then turn to coat the other side.
- Transfer the egg-coated bread slice into the skillet, and leave it untouched until the bottom turns golden brown. Flip and brown the other side.
- Transfer the browned bread slice to an oven-safe serving plate, and keep it warm in the oven.
- Repeat steps 5 to 7 for each of the remaining bread slices.
- Toast the sliced almonds. To do this, you can choose from one of four methods suggested on WikiHow. I didn’t want to heat up an entire oven for ½ cup of almond, so I personally used the microwave method.
- Remove the plate of French toast from the oven, and make a Swiss cheese sandwich by inserting 1-2 cheese slices between two bread slices.
- Top it with toasted sliced almonds.
- Return to oven for a few minutes to allow the cheese to melt a bit, and to keep the dish warm until ready to serve.
- Serve with warm maple syrup and butter, and other sides such as fruits, and sausages, or ham.
To make this even more savoury, add cooked ham slices along with the Swiss cheese.